I made fish last night, which meant I could indulge a little on the sides, right? I made peas. Still doing good. Then I had these mashed potatoes left over from the night we had the stuffed pork chops. What to do, what to do? I had sort of a vision in my head of adding cream & butter to them and making little potato mounds on a baking sheet then scoring them with a fork to get those little browned ridges like on cottage pie, but then the internet distracted me and I ended up making puffed potatoes.
These kind of seem like the love child between tater tots and loaded baked potatoes. No deep frying, no excess grease,
- 1-1/2 cups of mashed potatoes (you can use more, but that’s all I had)
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2/3 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup bacon bits, or bacon pieces, or chicken, or ham or none at all
- 1/3 cup very, very finely chopped onion (can use chives or maybe a shallot, but I had neither of those)
- 2 eggs
Preheat oven to 400 F. Mix ingredients very well. I recommend using muffin/cupcake cups because I didn’t and, even though I used a non stick pan and sprayed the cups with oil, they still stuck and had to be released with a knife.
I used a mini muffin tin and each well used about a tablespoon of filling….I got 23 minis out of this.
These won’t spill all over the oven so fill the cups. Bake for about 20 minutes. If using a full size muffin tin, I would bake for about 30 minutes.
Serve. These are very good all on their own and even better with a little sour cream on top.