6 June, 2021
Egg Roll in a Bowl
When I first discovered this recipe, I was so thrilled. It was simple, it used pretty basic ingredients, my kids liked it – a lot, and it was fast (we all know I suck at taking things out of the freezer ahead of time). Basically, this is the perfect meal. I admit, this recipe is everywhere but I feel that everyone should try it at least once and, on the off chance that someone reading this hasn’t seen it anywhere else, try it. Honest to goodness, try it.
I no longer need to use a recipe, I’ve made it so many times. My kids (both adults) both can, and do, make it themselves with no recipe.
Ingredients: (this served 3 with leftovers)
- 8 cups of shredded/grated carrots and cabbage, in whatever proportion you like. You can use precut coleslaw mix, also, or any other slaw mixture you like. Kale slaw, broccoli slaw, just get your eight cups in there.
- 1 lb of ground meat – pork, turkey, chicken, beef or any other kind you enjoy
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 TB sesame oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp minced garlic or 2-3 garlic cloves, minced or garlic powder – start with ½ tsp
- 1 tsp minced/grated ginger or 1 tsp ginger powder
- green onions for garnish (optional)
Brown the ground meat in a large frying pan. Once browned, add the slaw mixture and pop a lid on it. Let the vegetables cook down and soften a bit – 5 minutes on low medium heat.
Add the spices and sauces and let cook to blend for a minute or two.
Take off the heat, add the onions if using and serve.
So simple, filling and delicious.