21 July, 2021
It sounds weird, I know, but it’s really good. It’s supposed to be called a Big Mac salad, but I feel Big Mac has some very definite non-healthy feelings attached to the name. I occasionally indulge in the Mac of the Big size, and I have no guilt about it. They’re awesome. An indulgence, but awesome.
This is a keto recipe and I started making it years ago, when it was all the rage. I think it still is, but I like carbs too much to be keto, so I don’t follow any more. This is a great recipe if you happen to cook too much ground beef or too many burgers.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1-2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1-2 TB Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2-1 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 TB mustard
- 2 TB ketchup
- Pinch or two of paprika
- 2 or 3 small dill pickles, minced
- 2-3 TB minced onion – grated onion would be really good
- 1-2 TB vinegar – you can use pickle juice, but I find it doesn’t give enough pucker for my liking
- You can add a pinch of sugar or sweetener to this, to help balance the flavours – I personally don’t like it, so I don’t
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1-2 heads of romaine lettuce
- 2 handfuls of grape tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ English cucumber, sliced
- Whatever other salad ingredients you like – bell pepper, red onion, parsley, green onions
Cook that ground beef. If you want, you can make patties and cook like that, or just leave it loose. You can also change the ground beef to turkey or chicken, depending on what you have and what you want to eat. Add your seasonings….let it cool a little.
Mix your sauce ingredients in a bowl. Taste it. Adjust what you need – I usually end up adding more vinegar. 🙂
Mix your salad ingredients. I leave the cheese out and let everyone grab as much as they want – this way, too, if you have salad left over, you don’t have to worry about wet cheese the next day. Wet cheese is really unappealing. You can use pre-grated cheese, but it takes a quick minute to grate enough cheese to go on your salad and there won’t be any cellulose in it.
I cut up a red onion to go into my sauce and put all but the 2 tablespoons I used in the sauce in with the ground beef while it was cooking. It took the raw onion edge off.
This is probably a 15 minute meal if your ground beef is thawed before you start cooking….maybe half an hour if not. Use the time your beef is cooking to make the sauce and chop your vegetables and you’ll have food in no time at all.
If I had known about this salad when my mancub was little and thought salad was my attempt to kill him – he probably would have eaten it much, much sooner than he did….and with far fewer tears.