1 November, 2021
Loaded Baked Potato in a Pan
I always end up with leftover mashed potatoes. I overestimate how much we’re going to eat, or I underestimate how big those potatoes really are….one way or another, there’s always a small bowl of leftovers hiding in the fridge. The more I cook, and I cook a lot, the more little leftover bowls there will be. They can be frozen but then what? Welllllll, then you make this.
I saw this on 100 Dollars a Month and it looked so good I had to try it. So worth it.
- 1-½ cups of mashed potatoes – you can make fresh or you can use leftovers. Leftover will take a little longer in the oven just because they’re going from cold rather than lukewarm.
- ¼ cup of half and half or heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar, divided
- 2 pieces of bacon – divided, cooked and chopped (I cheated and bought a bag of precooked bacon from Costco, so I used about ¼ of a cup, give or take)
- 2-4 teaspoons of chives, green onions would work, also
Mix the potatoes, cream, sour cream, ¾ of the cheese, ¾ of the bacon, the pepper and chives together in a bowl.
Move to a shallow baking dish (I used a pie plate), smooth the top and bake at 375F for 25-30 minutes.
When the timer goes off, take the dish out of the oven and top with the remainder of the cheese and bacon and pop back into the oven for 15 minutes or so…until that cheese is melted and you can smell bacon alllll over your house.
Take it out, give it a minute or two to settle down and then serve.
We had ours with a roasted ham I made the other night. I’d like to say I went crazy and made vegetables, but I didn’t. I was feeling lazy and figured I had put all the effort into baking that ham, from frozen, on a weeknight. Besides, potatoes are a vegetable and chives are green, even if they are dried. I’m sure there’s good for you stuff in there somewhere. Good enough.
If you are keto or low carb, this would work with steamed cauliflower, just squeeze the moisture out very thoroughly.